The holiday season was quite different than our past couple breaks. For one, this time it didn't start at the end of finals. There was no stress leading up to the time off we had. You'd think that the military would be strick and not so lenient around the holidays, but actually, Stephen had pretty much 2 straight weeks off work. I got 4 days.
I had Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off. We had an exciting Christmas Eve, Shadow decided to run away while he and Stephen were out behind the housing office in the mesquite. I had slept in and was quietly reading a book, relaxing, when I got the call. I immediately got some clothes on and jumped in the car and headed that way.
Knowing Shadow, when he gets scared, he more or less freezes and waits for me to come get him. Unfortunately, this was in some pretty harsh terrain. I wouldn't be able to walk through it trying to find it, and the noise I'd make would probably scare him more and he'd run farther away. So we started doing laps, following some jeep trails calling for him. After almost an hour, Stephen went to go check around housing to see if he might have left that thicket area. I kept walking and calling for him, and eventually saw him. Shadow was hiding under a mesquite tree a little ways off the road. I was really surprised that I even saw him. I knew that he heard me, but was so scared. I had to coax him out, promising love and treats! The rest of the day we spent cleaning him up. He had exploded poop during that time (something that happens when he gets scared) and had gotten into some cactus, etc. He then spent the rest of the day shaking and cuddling into us while we watched movies and relaxed.
We opened a present on Christmas Eve, and the rest had to wait until the morning! We both got a good haul and are very thankful for what we received! After the presents under the tree were gone, it became one of Shadow's favorite places to hang out!

I was back at work for the next day, while we waited for Stephen's family to make the long trip down here to Laughlin. My boss's boss gave me the next day off to spend with family, even though I'm technically not yet authorized to get time off like that since I'm still within my first 6 months working for the city. It was really nice of him. Stephen's family made it in around 10:30 or so that night. We talked a little and got them to their rooms. Let me just say, 7 people in a 3 bedroom house is tight! Especially when there is only 1 shower!
Friday morning we relaxed and took a tour of Del Rio and of the base. We ate authentic Mexican food for lunch. Saturday we went out to the lake and walked around there for a while. Shadow got his first swimming lessons! We also went and saw the 2nd Hobbit movie, and went to Fuddruckers for dinner.
Sunday we went to church and then relaxed. It was really great getting to see most of Stephen's family. We really missed them. It was very nice to have family around us and to show them our home and our little town.

The next day, the family left, and I was back at work. It was nice to see everybody!
I also had New Years Eve and New Years Day off work. I really don't think we did anything. I know we went to bed pretty much right at midnight. Even though we didn't have too much craziness it was a great first Christmas.


No comments:
Post a Comment