Thursday, February 20, 2014

Jessie going back to school!

Well, I saw on facebook one of the other wives down here at Laughlin posted about a scholarship that's available to military wives whose husbands are considered "of low rank" (such as lieutenants!). It will provide up to $4000 towards an education/license/certification in a portable and high demand career field. Since I already have my bachelors in Geography, if I was accepted, I could go back to school and study another topic that I'm somewhat interested in.

The main issue with living in Del Rio is the location. It's far away from anything, especially any type of quality school. So, with a little research, I found an online school that accepts this scholarship and every program is scholarship qualified. I looked into the different programs, more focused on the medical field. They had things like lab technician, pharmacy tech, billings clerk, admin, etc. I had decided on pharmacy tech because it would be useful knowledge to have even if I never do it for a job.

I started the scholarship application process and got signed up on the website. There, they had a master list of all the career fields that they deem to be needed and mobile, along with all of the programs accepted, and at what schools. I saw on the career list that they had EMT/Paramedic! I have been seriously looking into an EMT program for the past 18 months or so and had even done the prerequisites in Colorado already. I was going to do one program here in Texas, but the distance was going to be the issue, along with the clinical/ambulance rotations, so I never did it.

I looked into the accepted EMT programs and found an online one based out of Texas! I contacted them immediately, completed the scholarship application, and got it all approved in the course of 2 days! So, the academic portion of the course is online, then I have to travel to either El Paso, or Austin for a skills review, and then we'll have to figure out if I can to the ER and ambulance rotations here in Del Rio. The school said they will try to work with me. But they're pretty sure at the very least, they could get something out of San Antonio, which would also be good.

I'm super excited about this opportunity to go back to school and continue learning a new topic that I'm interested in! It's going to be crazy though having to remember how to study and manage time and do tests again! But the timing couldn't be better...by the time I got my textbooks and all registered for my class, Stephen finally started pilot training! Now we're study buddies!

No comments:

Post a Comment