So pilot training started just over 2 months ago. I've really enjoyed it. The first 3 weeks was academics and that wasn't too bad. Then we hit the flightline. We work consistent 12 hour days and we normally have a flight or simulator every day. The first 12 flights are just basic rides practicing aircraft control, simple turns, learning departure and arrival procedures to our runway, how to land safely, etc. The days can be long, and tiring, but you get to fly a jet (almost) everyday, so I definitely can't complain. It's been sad not seeing jessie as much, but we knew this is how it was going to be. And everyone says that this first year of pilot training is the toughest.
Well at the end of those first 12 rides we get an opportunity to solo the jet. And today was my day. You go up with an instructor (IP) and fly a couple of patterns to make sure that your patterns and landings are safe and then you land, the IP gets out, and then you start up the plane by yourself and get to fly for abut 30-40min.
I remember everytime I've ever soloed an airplane. My first was a glider in fall of '08 at the Academy. I was scared out of my mind. Next, was the DA-20 at IFS in October of '13. I was nervous, but excited. Then there was this one.
First off, I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised when one of my buddies showed up with Jessie at the side of my jet before I started it up. That was so great getting to see Jessie before I took off! I love you, hon.
The T-6 is a $5M, 1,100 horsepower turboprop jet aircraft. So SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than anything I'd ever flown before. For a reference, we fly around the pattern at 230mph, and land at 100mph. I taxied out to the end of the runway, got clearance to takeoff, and did so. As I was climbing away from the runway, I just yelled out "heck ya!!! in excitement. It was awesome! Then I remembered I still had my gear hanging, so I cleaned up really quick before I oversped the gear and made my first solo in the T-6 really short.
I flew a few patterns and just had a blast.
My final landing that day, is, to this day, my best landing ever. That self-preservation instinct kicks in and it really helps out.
After I landed Jessie and a couple of my friends met me at the jet again. This time to make sure that I got dunked, as per tradition. I didn't really put up I fight. I was still on cloud nine. I got thrown in and gave Jessie and big wet hug, and even the stinky, cold water couldn't dampen my mood. It was a great day!
Jessie's version:
I had pre-arranged with my boss to take a slightly longer lunch today so I could go watch Stephen solo. He was alright with it as long as I make up the missed time later this afternoon. I was actually getting kinda nervous about it! It's super exciting but gosh, I sure hope he wasn't going to crash or have some sort of malfunction! Then I'd have to run out onto the flightline and EMT him!
I went and picked up Subway for him for lunch, and then headed to base. I got to the predetermined location (that Stephen gave me in coordinates) and only had to wait a little bit before meeting up with some members of his flight. We waited around for a bit and then saw him taxi back to his spot. We went up to his plane, but instead of just finishing his solo flight, he was actually just about to start it! This was going to make my lunch break much longer if I were to stay, and I told him I probably wouldn't be able to. I kissed him good bye and good luck , gave him a salute, and off he went!
I talked to my boss and ended up staying, though he didn't know that! I hung out with some members of his flight and listened to them talk about pilot training and the different people in their flight and stuff, but we all kept looking and watching for a red tail to taxi by with no IP in the back seat.
Finally after about 40 minutes, we saw a red tailed T-6 go by with no IP. We walked out to their parking area, and looked around and couldn't find him! Turns out it was a different guy! We waited a bit more and he finally came back.
I was so proud of him! Especially since I didn't have to go all medical crazy on him! Let me just say, Stephen in a g-suit, hot and sweaty, and all military, walking around the plane doing a checklist and stuff is super sexy! He got thrown in the dunk tank, and that water is NASTY! So gross! He walked back into his flight room, still dripping wet to go do his debrief. :)
![]() |
| Nasty Water! |
![]() |
| Don't touch me!!! |


No comments:
Post a Comment